Friday, July 2, 2010

Photography 101: Shutter!

Ok guys, this is a new column that I looooooove to talk about. Under this entry label, I will talk to you all about camera, from types of camera, photography techniques, photography tips and tricks, anything A to Z about photography. Maybe I will do the same on videography and photomanipulation later (under different labels), so keep on reading in the future. :)

So for the first post under this photography 101 label, I will introduce you to certain terminologies used in photography. I will only explain these terms briefly as I will go deep into each of the terms in the future. So for the first term of the day, shutter. Shutter is a mechanical device on a camera that opens and closes to control the time of a photographic exposure on the films (as on film cameras) or image sensor (as on digital cameras). Confuse? Whenever you push the shutter button on a camera, the shutter is opened to let enough light to come inside and then the shutter is closed. The shutter looks a little bit like this in a camera.

Some cameras allow you to control the speed of the shutter to let you get creative with your images. The speed of a shutter is usually recorded in seconds but sometimes it can goes on for hours depending on your camera. As for my camera, it can go for as fast as 1/2000 seconds (that is one second divided into 2000 parts) and it can be as long as 60 seconds before the shutter shut itself. Faster shutter speed freezes the motion in an image, enable you to get sharp photos of a moving car or a water droplet in a glass; while slower shutter speed will produce milky images like this.



Oh yes, slower shutter speed will enables more light to come inside into the camera, which will help a lot in photographing in the dark or low light condition, however shakes while taking the photos are intolerable as this will results shaky (
blurry) images. Got anything to ask? Just drop a comment below, I will answer them for you. :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

interesting venture..keep it up since you're such an avid photog wannabe or avebeen..

izuan said...

thank you for the words and visit miss :)

Unknown said...

I am an avid photog..so whatever blog that connects with photography I'll keep an eye..
so what cam are you using at the moment?

izuan said...

Well I just started this photography 101 section in my blog, just to share anything that I learn pertaining photography. Got no money to buy a DSLR, so I used an ultrazoom PNS camera only. :)

Unknown said...

oh I thought you have got yourself a new DSLR..you wanted to buy mine right?hehe well you can get a cheaper one ..2nd hand which is still brand new fr websites lelong...just keep an eye. Actually my compact cam too works fine..a Nikon also it's with Danny at present(jgn2 dia amik terus haha)

izuan said...

Yea I've been browsing through sites like mudah and lelong for a 2nd hand DSLR but nothing is worth the price that I can afford,hahah. Maybe I was too choosy. Hee I knew about your camera, the one with Danny. So you can lend one to me too kot,haha.

Unknown said...

well if you really need for special purpose I can lend you no problemo hahaha and bersyarat that you can't take it out of between Jitra and Alor Star..how is it? No one needs to survey and make comparison first as it's going to be something worth buying so that we won't regret. Well regarding my DSLR Danny already asks if I ever buy a new one he wants D5k of mine..I rather sell it to you! HAhahaha

izuan said...

Haha, sell it to me then, but for a very very very SPECIAL PRICE one laaa... please pretty please, hehehe. And in instalment for 15 years :P

Unknown said...

wow you sure know how to please what a gurl wants to hear huh!?hehehe...thng is I'm still very in love with my D5k..in 15 years I would sell it to you :P Well I give you the permission to venture my Coolpix..btw did you compose the poem? You have excellent use of vocab. no wonder Mr Rem memuji meletop

fizz alpijod said...

salam. mengenai shutter yg ada pada olympus ยต tough sy masih blur mengenai penggunaan exposure die. sbb exposurenya cume ade 2 pilihan sahaje. (esp dan spot) ape beze keduanya?
dan mcm mane nk buat motion zoom ?

:)

izuan said...

Waalaikumsalam..
Ok, sebenarnya saya tak berpeluang nak guna Olympus macam tu, tapi setelah melihat spesifikasinya, saya rasa kamera tu automatik shutter speed, not adjustable? betul ke tak? ESP dan Spot ni metering system, satu fungsi di mana kamera akan secara automatik cuba fokus kepada objek yang kita nak tangkap. kira autofocus, mana yang jadi clear, foreground atau background. ESP ni center lebih jelas daripada background. Kalau kamera lain, spot ni satu bahagian dalam imej di fokus, bukan keseluruhannya, dan fokus ni boleh dialih-alih.

Zoom motion ni boleh buat dengan tetapkan shutter yg slow, letak atas tripod atau permukaan stabil, tekan shutter dan semasa proses shutter berjalan, zoomkan lensa. (samada zoom in atau zoom out, ikut kreativiti).

Berbelit tak? eheh

fizz alpijod said...

kire cam nie takleyh buat manual lah kan. huhu..
trime kaseh bro. tak berbelit pwn.
saye sudah phm. :)

*senyum*